Sunday, August 17, 2014

Inspired By...




A few weeks ago my dear friend Julie Koerber nominated me on her blog as someone who inspires her.  That is incredibly kind and really touching to me.  Julie is one fabulous lady with so many inspiring gifts that I have come to love and appreciate.  Above all she is loyal, faith-filled, savvy and has lived out leadership in joy and in challenges, and I am so grateful for her. You can read her Inspring Post HERE).  She is a gem and you definitely want to check out her beautiful work.

So here are my questions:



1.  What am I working on?   I’m almost always working on cards, the canvas size of a card is just right for me, so in that I’m usually colouring up something (I have a few designs I’ve coloured on my desk just waiting for a card - like above).  I’m also in organizing mode going through my supplies trying to decide what to keep, sell or give away.   One of my goals for the year ahead is to somehow get back to some scrapbooking - as our youngest son longs to have a baby scrapbook like his older sister and brother do.  3rd child you know....so that’s something I’d like to be working on soon.  And, today I’ll be painting my older son’s room and a Porsche Mural on his wall.  I am happiest when I am doing something that requires some artistic creativity.

2.  How does my work differ from others of it’s genre?  That is a really unique question because I’m not sure most of us understand objectively what our “niche” is, and how it would be different from others.  However, I think that one of the things I love best about the card making process is the colouring.  Over the years I’ve worked hard to hone my colouring skills in different mediums or applications.  I am also a person who loves vibrancy in what I create, so you will often see rich colour in my designs.  I’m neither CAS or Shabby Chic or technique based;  I’m somewhere in the middle with clean layers, designer paper, and classy embellishing.  (At least I think I am!)  I really love botanical images and also enjoy images with whimsy and fun too.  For me it’s all about excellent illustration.    I also love to include photography into what I show on my blog, it’s a skill I’m continuing to work on.

Here is some of my past work:










3.  Why do I write/create what I do?  I do it as an expression of me, it brings me such satisfaction and contentment to create.   For all of you out there who create, I know you understand that.   To take something from a blank sheet of cardstock and form it into something beautiful that could be given to someone else is delightful to me.    For me it is also an expression of thankfulness to the God who’s given me the abilities I’ve been given.  It’s like an artistic voicing of worship.  There’s a song I really resonate with when it comes to my faith and my creativity, and I find it to be really hope-filled.

“You make beautiful things, You make beautiful things out of the dust,
You make beautiful things, You make beautiful things out of us."

I’ve also built such a kin-ship with many amazing people in the industry as we have worked together over the years that I treasure.  I hope that it does inspire other people in the process along the way too!  I’ve always wanted this blog to be a place where you feel encouraged, inspired and have a little fun.

4.  How does my Creative Process work?  I do approach the creative process differently each time.  There are times where I look at an image and go research what it might look like in real life to be inspired with an idea.  Other times I start with some designer paper and then colour an image to match the paper.  I might also peruse Pinterest or other people’s blogs that inspire me,  or start of with a a sketch or colour challenge to create.  Then it’s always colouring, paper and embellishments in that order.  It’s rare for me not to colour something on my card.  I also take a lot of time.  I’m not a fast creator.  Even when I card is “finished” I’ll likely look at it a long time to decide if its really got the visual interest and polish that I want it to.  I find that even after I’ve photographed my card and blogged it, I’ll look at and and say “Oh I wish I would have done _______ differently.

What’s fun is that I can do it all again tomorrow!

And now I get to nominate some other lovely ladies who are inspiring to me!


Tosha Leyendekker - Stamp Talk with Tosh

If I were to use one word to describe Tosha’s work it would be polish.  Tosha always puts excellence into her work.  Whether its something soft and ethereal or something rich, shabby and warm she manages to create with a something extra or something unexpected and do it with a beautiful touch.  Whether it’s a card design, some gift item or a one of a kind piece of jewelry Tosha’s work is always inspiring.  She’s also a great deal of fun and has a wonderful quick wit and sense of humor as well as a kind and generous heart.  We had a great time when a bunch of us girls gathered together last summer.  And I’m blessed to know her!


Broni Holcombe - Splashes of Watercolor

Broni is a fabulous lady.   One of the things I have long admired about her is how she uses colour.  Whether it is in a card design, an altered item, or a page in an art journal she just knows how to make it sing with colour.    And another thing that inspires me about Broni is that her colouring skills in any medium are always stunning.  She knows how to infuse saturation and light into her work, and I always leave inspired.   I so appreciate her work and have for a long time, way back to our Dirty Dozen days on Splitcoaststampers.  



Clara Cecilia - Clara Cecilia Photography 

This sweet and beautiful friend of mine is fabulous.  Amoung the many things Clara does, one is as a talented photographer and also a lifestyle blogger (along with her friend).   Clara oozes talent and she has this lovely way of making things she touches beautiful.  Whether she’s doodling or lettering something and making it look like a piece of art, creating a graphic that grabs you, or capturing moments for others in a view finder - she creates a story that makes you want to jump into it.  Her photography speaks whimsy and design savvy, and is beautifully light infused.   Whatever she does, she does with heart, and I’m so excited to see where life takes her as she blesses the world with her gifts.  I’m so proud of her!  



Well it’s been delightful to introduce to you these lovely creative and inspiring ladies.  In a couple of weeks you’ll get to hear from some of them about their creative process and who inspires them.  

4 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

wow, wow stunning cards and colouring christine, my compliments.
Gr Karin

Leslie Miller said...

Beautifully written and photographed, Christine. I love how you use color and I love your style. I enjoyed the read. Thank you!

Broni said...

Thank you SO much, Christine, for this honor! You are a true inspiration!!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

I am humbled and honored Christine! You, my friend are the inspiration in so many ways!! Thank you so much for your kind words!