Friday, September 12, 2014

Sunshiney, Happy Day

Well hello and welcome!  It’s a happy Friday today and the Power Poppy team is going to bring you some lovely inspiration again!

I have a *secret* board on Pinterest where I pin things that inspire me.  Maybe a sketch or technique I want to try out someday or a colour scheme, a picture that jump start my creativity, it’s really great as a beginning point when you get into a creative slump.

So I went back to the board looking at some of the things that inspired me and found a card by Makiko Jones from about four years ago that totally influenced this card.

I had the idea in my head for this colour palette  - knowing it would be a little unusual, and yet still hoping it would turn out ok.   Finally, when it all came together I was so happy with the result!  It’s unusual but I really love how it works together.



I began by stamping the gorgeous peonies from our set: Dynamic Duos:  Peonies and Tulips in Tuxedo Black Memento ink on XPress It Blending card stock.  For the background layer I also used the same paper but stamped the peonies in London Fog ink to soften the effect and have it really receed into the background.  When coloured it almost takes on that no-line colouring look.  


The damask paper is Echo Park - Style Essentials, and I love how bold those colours look against each other.  There’s a little bit of polka-dotted SU ribbon and the panel is edged with a Martha Stewart Quilt Edge punch.  



Here’s the inside of the design with Memento Canteloupe ink and SU Bermuda Bay ink.  

Here’s the Copics I used for the colouring: 






Now it’s all about the rest of these fabulous girls from the Bloom Brigade, jump in on our Power Poppy Peeps of the week contest (see details here) and get in the running for Power Poppy prizes!   The October New Release Sneak Peeks are only two weeks away!  Woo Hoo!

Christine Okken (you are here)
Danielle Kennedy
Dawn Burnworth
Leslie Miller
Stacy Morgan

15 comments:

KimCreate said...

Just beautiful. I thought there was vellum over your background. Stamping in gray ink is a lovely way to do the background to make the flowers stamped in black stand out. Love it!

Leslie Miller said...

It's so very strikingly gorgeous, Christine! I was trying out Bermuda Bay and Pool Party the other day and really loved them together, but with this rich canteloupe for contrast it really pops! Beautiful coloring, and lots of it! A total WOW card!

Stacy Morgan said...

Very happy and cheerful indeed! These colors together are fabulous and beautiful shading Christine!

dpkennedy said...

This is beautiful Christine! I love the technique and your color combo!

Alanna said...

This is just beautiful. The flowers are gorgeous and I love the color combo.

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is beautiful Christine.
Gr Karin

Lyn said...

Oh my Christine this is so beautiful <3 muchly

Pauline said...

Christine this is beautiful! I love the colours, I would of never thought do put these together - just amazing.

Angelica Schmidt said...

Your card is absolutely gorgeous! Love the color of the peonies you did a fabulous job coloring them! Have a Blessed day!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

This is absolutely stunning Christine! I LOVE the colors! What a refreshing combination! And, as always, your coloring is amazing!

Sue L. said...

Positively LOVE this card: the color combination of those blues and those yellow/reds; the London Fog Ink in the background and Tuxedo Black in the foreground; and, the punch work. Great card and it sure made me smile.
Thx.

P.S. Where do you live where it snowed already?

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous color combo, and your coloring is so pretty, love your borders even on the inside!

Dawn B. said...

I love love love how you created your designer paper. Stamping it with a lighter ink really brings our your colors. This is gorgeous Christine.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, how beautiful to have made your on gorgeous DP and then repeat the flower for your focal image!! Just love the colors you chose and how beautiful it is inside and outside!! Hugs!

Allison Cope said...

Oh my Christine! This card is AMAZING! I love the colours you chose and your design and details are out standing! WTG! Love this.