Friday, February 27, 2015

Art Journal-y Baby

Hello Friday Friends!  Today I’m bringing you a sweet new image from A Day for Daisies and a fun new challenge!

This week it’s “Make it Art Journal-y”.



I began with this sweet little cat-fish princess called Cat Fish Kitty (on sale right now too!), printing her on XPress It Blending card-stock, colouring it up with Copic Markers.  

Now some of you might be wondering what it takes to make something “art journal-y”.  I’m not sure if I have a definitive answer, but her are some thoughts;   a lot of art journalling uses mixed-media methods to create ecclectic layers of colour, texture and shape.  Often you’ll see repeated themes or elements to make the design cohesive, and journalling or writing in the design.  If you google art journalling, or check it out on pinterest you’ll generate all sorts of inspiration to get you started.  

I’ll walk you through what I did for this design on the art journal layer.  I began by taking a 4 x 5 1/4 inch panel of thicker cardstock and using a Tim Holtz stencil, and some embossing paste to create the vertical lines.  After I allowed that to dry I took some re-inkers and a wet waterbrush and washed in some aqua in the background.    While that was drying I cut out some stars in this pretty amethyst colour, dribbled them with some purple copic solution randomly,  and then spritzed them with Mr. Huey’s spray in Shine.  I punched out some circles in Bermuda Bay cardstock, randomly scribbled some circles on them and did a little handwriting.  

Next I used another Tim Holtz stencil (Bubbles) and added more spritz overtop of the design in the aqua green colour and then again in the Shine colour.  I think in the end I dribbled some more reinkers over the design to continue that under the sea-circular theme I have going on.  It’s all a fun and rewarding way to get inky :)  



I added some letters along the bottom, because by that time it really took on a baby feel to me.  I layered the panels a bit wonky so it would have little less linear feel and add to the ecclectic style.  


Here’s the Copics I used on our lovely cat-fish princess :)



So please join us at A Day for Daisies for this fun challenge!  Here’s some more art journal-y inspiration!



Christine (you are here)


5 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is super sweet and a very beautiful card Christine, love the colours you have used.
Gr Karin

Nazeema Calypso Thompson said...

OMG... I love this... I need to learning to be a little more Art Journal-y. The colors, texture...everything just looks amazing.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Oh WOW!! Christine, this is indeed a work of art, love it!!! the texture you achieved is amazing, the colors so lovely and this kitty/mermaid simply adorable.
Thank you for sharing and for explaining how you made this beautiful and whimsical card.

Rosy Newlun said...

That is the cutest cat fish I have ever seen in all my life. What lovely coloring. You always amaze me with what you do :*

Becky said...

What beautiful colors and textures. Awesome card.